Forestry Corporation of NSW
Forestry Corporation of NSW
Our values are at the heart of everything we do. A career at FCNSW is built on the foundations of our values.
- Wellbeing: The safety and wellbeing of our people is priority.
- Respect: We care for country, community and ourselves in all their diversity and our partnerships in
- the highest regard.
- Integrity: We are honest and accountable for all our actions.
- Innovation: We challenge ourselves to think differently and improve
- Permanent Opportunity
- Contribute to the protection of Cypress and Western hardwood forests
- Dubbo location
Forestry Corporation of NSW (FCNSW) is the largest manager of commercial native and plantation forests in NSW. We manage more than two million hectares of forests for the economic, environmental and social benefit of the people of NSW and Australia. FCNSW adheres to the values of respect, innovation, integrity and wellbeing.
About the Role
We have a fantastic opportunity for a Fire Officer to join the team. Reporting to the Cypress Production and Fire Manager, the Fire Officer is responsible for contributing to and implementing strategies to ensure the protection of Cypress and Western hardwood forests in designated areas, such that their commercial, environmental and social values are able to be maximised.
The key responsibilities of the role include:
- Representing FCNSW in Bush Fire Management Committees and ensuring all administration is kept up to date. Participate in, and as required take an active role on behalf of FCNSW to ensure the effective contribution of Bush Fire Management Committees to forest protection efforts.
- For the geographic area, preparing fire trail and fire mitigation funding bids and coordinate their implementation.
- Prepare and coordinate hazard reduction plans in conjunction with local field staff and other Planning functional staff.
- Assist with the coordination of the hazard reduction burning program, fire rosters and task-based assessments for designated geographic area.
- Develop and maintain constructive relationships with other key internal and external stakeholders including operational staff, industry representatives and representatives of government/regulatory agencies, neighbours and community groups such that the corporation’s reputation as a responsible forest manager/ employer/ community member is enhanced and related opportunities maximised.
- Prepare operational (road and fire trail maintenance, hazard reduction burning and strategic fire mitigation) plans in timely fashion to enable effective and efficient operations and to meet regulatory and corporate policies and standards.
- Ensure that the public and relevant neighbours and stakeholders are involved as necessary in the planning process.
In addition to being self-driven, motivated with a passion for forest protection and stakeholder management, you will also demonstrate the following skills and experience:
- Appropriate tertiary qualification and relevant experience
- Demonstrated experience in forestry management and protection, including fire management, planning and road maintenance.
- Good interpersonal, collaboration and negotiation skills combined with good oral and written communication skills and ability to work as part of a team.
- Sound understanding of relevant legislation, regulatory requirements and best-practice methodologies
- Demonstrated focus on continuous improvement and customer service.
- Supervisory skills and experience, preferably including contractor management.
- Proven organisational skills – ability to plan and prioritise work, meet standards and deadlines.
- Capacity and willingness to undertake fire and fuel management duties, fire fighting and extensive travel (mainly driving), work extended hours, and to maintain sufficient fitness for the job (e.g. able to efficiently conduct reconnaissance / investigation through difficult terrain and dense vegetation) and a current drivers licence.
The successful applicant will be required to undergo a medical assessment and drug and alcohol screening as part of the recruitment process. As this role has frontline fire- fighting responsibilities a Task Based Assessment (TBA) at a standard of at least the Moderate Field Test is required.
Forestry Corporation is an inclusive workplace which promotes diversity and encourages flexible working arrangements.
We are an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and encourage females to apply for this role.
For more information about who we are and what we do visit forestrycorporation.com.au
We want to hear from you!
- Apply here or via our website – www.forestrycorporation.com.au/careers
- For further information and a confidential discussion on this unique opportunity, please contact Conan Rossler on (m) 0428 480 731.
Applications close: Thursday, 16th December 2021.