NSW Government Corrective Services NSW
Casual Correctional Officer
Corrective Services NSW
A division of the Department of Communities and Justice, Corrective Services NSW (CSNSW) provides support to offenders, former inmates, and their families within correctional centres, courts and the community. Community Corrections plays an integral part in CSNSW’s management of offenders on community-based sentences.
Corrective Services NSW are now looking for Casual Correctional Officers to join the team at Wellington Correctional Centre and Macquarie Correctional Centre where you will provide a high standard of security and containment within our Correctional Centres.
Casual Correctional Officers provide safety, security, welfare and rehabilitation of inmates/offenders of all classifications, locate and remove illegal and restricted substances by conducting daily searches and musters and undertake all custody related administrative duties whilst maintaining confidentiality. We welcome applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples who are passionate about building a safer community.
Did we mention the perks?
- Casual rate of $32.52 per hr
- 10 week fully paid training program including weapons and tactical training
- Certificate III in Correctional Practice in the following 12 months
- Make work suit your lifestyle rather than making your lifestyle suit work with 3-12hr casual shifts available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
What do you need?
- An up-to-date resume and a cover letter outlining your interest in the role
- Answer all questions on the online application form
- You must be a minimum age of 18 years old
- Possess a current driver’s license (with no restrictions)
- Be an Australian or New Zealand Citizen or Permanent Resident
- Be willing and able to work irregular shift patterns/hours of work (shifts up to 12 hours, 7 days a week).
- Be available to work at short notice (calls for casual work are after 5pm for work on the following day).
- Have foundational computer skills
- Have the ability to be resilient in challenging situations
- Have no visible inappropriate or offensive tattoos
- Be comfortable with handling a firearm
- Pass pre-employment checks that include:
- National criminal history check including fingerprint checks
- Contact with offender check
- Reference checks
- Medical and Fitness Assessment
Please note: Having a prior criminal history will not preclude you from being considered for this role. A risk assessment is undertaken on a case by case basis
To find out more about the role, read our Role Description
If you are successful in this recruitment process you will be placed on the talent pool for a period of up to 18 months. If a vacancy arises in your preferred location during this time, the talent pool will be activated and offers will be based on location preference, capabilities, knowledge and experience.
Applications received via this requisition will be considered for Wellington Correctional Centre and Macquarie Correctional Centre ONLY. Please do not apply if this not a location of preference for you.
It is important to note, that you can only apply for Correctional Officer role with Corrective Services NSW ONCE in every 12 months and we will withdraw your application if you:
- Have applied for a Correctional Officer role with Corrective Services NSW within the last 12 months.
- You are currently going through the recruitment process for another location.
If you need help with your application or for more information about the role, email our Talent Acquisition team, or speak to one of our advisors on 1800 810 316 (option 1).
Closing date: 18th July 2021
A Talent Pool will be created for future casual roles that become available. The purpose of this recruitment is to create a Talent Pool and being successful through this recruitment does not guarantee an offer of employment.
Inclusion and Diversity lies at the heart of how we recruit
We continue to hire great people with a wide variety of skills, experience and backgrounds. This includes people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, women, people identifying as LGBTIQ+, culturally and linguistically diverse people, carers and other diversity groups.
If you require an adjustment within the recruitment process, please email CSNSWTA@justice.nsw.gov.au or call 1800 810 316 (option 1) and advise us of your preferred method of communication.
If you are looking for more information about workplace adjustments at Department of Communities and Justice, please visit our Careers site.