: Visiting Medical Officer
: Sessional (as per VMO Determination)
: Up to 20 hours per week
5 Jul 2021 – 11.59pm
An attractive opportunity exists for a psychiatrist interested in working in a Visiting Medical Officer position in Bathurst. The position is based with the Bathurst Mental Health Drug & Alcohol Service which includes a sub-acute inpatient unit at Panorama Clinic and community mental health services.
The position sits within the Mental Health Drug & Alcohol Services in Bathurst, a part of the Western NSW Local Health District. Our team delivers specialist treatment and care to the Bathurst region and surrounding communities. Across a largely rural District we are at the forefront of innovative practices to deliver services across a catchment of 400,000 square kms with the regional centres of Dubbo, Orange and Bathurst.
We have a committed workforce for a diverse range of services across our large and interesting region that includes regional towns and more rural and remote settings. Close working relationships have formed with several non-government organisations to support psychosocial and residential needs of consumers.
- Country living with a meaningful career path
- Flexible work practices (as appropriate to the position and negotiated with your manager)
- Corporate wellbeing programs, including the
- Opportunities for learning and development, including in-house training with and the NSW Health RTO
- Professional growth and accelerated career progression
You will be based at Bathurst Mental Health Drug & Alcohol, a part of the Western NSW Local Health District. For more information on living and working in our beautiful region, visit our website
Consultant Psychiatrists in our Mental Health and Drug & Alcohol Services provide direct clinical services at one or more of the following: Bloomfield/Orange Hospital; Bathurst or Dubbo Base Hospitals; or associated community services in Orange, Bathurst, Dubbo, Parkes, Cowra, Forbes, Mudgee, Bourke or Lightning Ridge.
Inpatient areas include adult units for high dependency, acute and sub-acute treatment; rehabilitation units that are gender specific, of medium security and for intermediate and longer term intervention; and acute adolescent and older persons units.
Community Services are provided in Orange, Bathurst and Dubbo, and in various community settings in the locations noted above with outreach from some locations reaching a number of even smaller population centres throughout the region.
- Evidence of being a MEDICAL EXPERT, including: Medical Degree (registerable/registered) with the Medical Board of Australia, Fellowship of the RANZCP, RACP or equivalent, Experience and competence in relevant areas of psychiatry or addictions for the relevant age group(s) and treatment settings (inpatient/outpatient/community).
- Evidence of being a good COMMUNICATOR, including having appropriate skills in verbal and written communication and the use of computer and telemedicine technology.
- Evidence of being a COLLABORATOR in working with patients, families, multidisciplinary teams, medical colleagues, other health professionals, and relevant government and non-government organisations and agencies.
- Evidence of being a MANAGER, which may include as clinical leader, as clinical supervisor of a multidisciplinary team, and in performing any required management and administrative tasks if relevant to the position; for all applicants, ability to work within clinical governance structures and participate in efforts for clinical quality improvement.
- Evidence of being an ADVOCATE for patients, families and carers, and of applying the principles of illness prevention and health promotion in your work.
- Evidence of being a SCHOLAR, including commitment to continuing medical education and professional development, being a mentor to junior colleagues, and educating other health professionals, students, patients and their families.
- Evidence of being a PROFESSIONAL, including adhering to ethical conduct and practice, complying with relevant policies and guidelines, and behaving at all times with integrity, honesty, compassion and respect for others.
- Hold a Driver Licence valid in NSW and be prepared to travel as a requirement of the position.
- Click here for the
- For role related queries or questions contact A/Prof Scott Clark via email or (02) 6369 8714
If you are applying for a Category A position, please read and understand NSW Health Policy Directive . All new employees must agree to comply with the requirements outlined in this policy.
Applicants holding a visa with working rights may be considered for temporary appointment (up to the expiry date of their visa) where no suitable applicant for permanent appointment is identified.