Senior Operations Officer
Do you want your work to make a difference for NSW?
Together, we create thriving environments, communities and economies.
- Join a world class organisation and make a difference to the environment
- Thrive in a supportive, collaborative and creative environment
- Remunerations starting from $125,487 plus superannuation
- Benefits and flexibility recognising work isn’t all you are passionate about
- Two ongoing roles available
- Roles based in Bathurst
We have an exciting opportunity available for two ongoing Senior Operations Officers to join the EPA in the Regulatory Operations team, Bathurst. The Senior Operations Officer will undertake diverse activities in accordance with the legislation administered by the EPA in assigned regulatory area/s or other EPA operational priorities. The role may also be required to manage major projects within EPA involving technically complex tasks and provide direction and expert advice to other officers.
The ideal candidate will:
- Contribute to the development, review and implementation of relevant aspects of the Branch’s, Section’s and Region’s Work Plan, contribute to internal and external reporting, and manage salient industries/issues as a senior team member responsible for the day-to-day protection of the environment.
- Assess the efficiency and effectiveness of standards and guidelines in protecting human health and the environment, identify and recommend appropriate solutions that address poor environmental performance of industry, public sector, landholders, and general community to deliver appropriate levels of environment protection.
- Identify, recommend and implement relevant actions to address poor environmental performance of industry, the public sector, landholders and the general community to ensure the environment and human health is protected.
- Contribute to full delivery of EPA statutory activities such as licensing and approvals
- Lead and undertake investigations and recommend future actions including potential prosecution or other regulatory or non-regulatory actions to deliver effective compliance with EPA’s legislative responsibilities, appearing in court as an EPA witness when required.
- Lead and participate in project teams for the consideration, development and implementation of specific policies and strategies and provide direction and expert advice to team members.
An inherent requirement of the role is the ability to work out of the Bathurst Office.
About the Team
Regulatory Operations is a dedicated team of environmental regulators who work to protect the environment and people from harm through the management of licensed premises and investigation of environmental incidents and complaints. If you are successful in the role, you will be working in a supportive, diverse, results driven team, who work across the Western Region on significant environmental protection matters.
For more information read the full
As the environmental steward and regulator of our State we are committed to a sustainable future.
Our people are proud to play a role in protecting the environment of NSW. We partner with Aboriginal people, industry and the wider community to protect, restore and enhance our diverse ecosystems.
We bring scientific expertise, experience and actions to inspire innovative solutions as we transition our state to a circular economy. As we respond to urgent current issues, including climate change, we educate and support our stakeholders to create an environmentally healthy future.
Join us on our mission to protect tomorrow together.
Why work for us?
EPA people are energised by our purpose and focussed on the environment and we invite all our team members to:
- Be part of protecting what matters – be purpose led making a meaningful impact to the environment, economy and communities delivering for a better NSW
- Do more and be inspired together – be members of Passionate united teams who protect the environment and each other through care, trust and collaboration.
- Bring who you are and grow with us – we put People first creating a culture where everyone can be themselves, respecting and developing our diverse skills & aspirations and prioritising our safety and wellbeing.
Some additional benefits to working for us include:
- A competitive salary and leave entitlements, salary packaging to save tax, fitness passport and free & confidential counselling services
- Opportunities and pathways for learning and developing your skills with access to online and face to face training and mentoring
- Flexible work arrangements
- Opportunities to make an impact and help shape the future for our environment
- Interesting and challenging work aligning with personal values that allow you to reach your full potential
- Recognition programs
In our inclusive and accessible workplace, differences are embraced, contributions are valued, and everyone has a sense of connection and belonging. The EPA supports various employee affinity groups, practice flexible working, offer job share and workplace adjustments.
The EPA is an independent statutory authority which sits within the Department of Planning and Environment.
For more information on the work we do at NSW EPA, go to
If excited by the information above, we look forward to receiving your application, including a copy of your resume and cover letter expressing your interest and suitability for the role.
Applications close: Tuesday 20th February 2024, at 11:55pm
Should you require further information about the role please contact Sheridan Ledger
Good to know
A recruitment pool may be created for ongoing and temporary opportunities in Bathurst of the same role or role type that may become available over the next 18 months.
If you are deemed as a recommended candidate following your interview, we will be inviting you to complete various background checks as part of our recruitment process before a final decision is made on the outcome of your application.
Our background checks may include, but are not limited to Reference Checks, National Police Checks, Working with Children and Medical Checks. The background checks will vary depending on the requirements of the role you have applied for and the work and environments you will be working across.
Capability application tool
The capability application tool helps job applicants understand and use the NSW Public Sector Capability Framework when applying for jobs with the NSW government. To access the tool please
Looking for more information or assistance in applying?
Our Diversity team can assist to:
- provide alternative formats to apply
- make adjustments to the recruitment process
- offer information about workplace adjustments and support networks
We encourage people with disability to apply. If you have disability and require more information on adjustments and assistance to apply, contact the Diversity team on (please include reference number).
If you are an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander check out Our Mob on Country to see the work we do and get assistance in applying.